- 1 lb of peeled and deveined prawns
- 1 cup of white flour
- ½ cup ice cold water or a handful of ice cubes
- pinch of salt
- Oil for deep frying
HOME MADE PINK AIOLI
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 to 2 tsp lemon juice and zest
- 1 tsp of mustard
- 1 to 2 tsp of hot sauce
- 1 to 2 tsp of either ketchup or tomato sauce
- ¼ cup or more Olive Oil
- Smash up the garlic with the help of salt which acts as an abrasive to break down the garlic forming it into a paste in a mortar and pestle.
- Place the egg yolk and mustard in a bowl and whisk together slowly adding the olive oil bit by bit watching it emulsify and turn thick. Once you’ve blended in a quarter of the oil you can add the rest in larger amounts.
- After the mixture has thickened add the lemon juice, garlic paste, pepper and salt according to taste. You may now add the hot sauce and ketchup or tomato sauce. Add lemon zest and more juice if required.
- Place flour in a bowl and add either cold water or ice cubes and a pinch of salt and using chopsticks gently mix together without blending it into a smooth paste Preferably the mixture should be lumpy so that it is extra crispy when fried,. Add in the prawns and when the oil is hot enough fry 3 to 4 pcs at a time without crowding the pan so that each prawn holds its shape.
- Keep aside on a kitchen towel to blot oil.
- Place the prawns on a baking tray and add a dollop of aioli on each prawn and grill for 5 to 7 minutes or until the aioli looks cooked and turns slightly brown.
- Serve piping hot with crusty bread pan fried in olive oil